These two cars, the Abarth 124 replica and the Martini F3 were respectively build and rebuild by us. Both cars are running now in Europe by their new owners.
Early this year I got a phone call with the question what my thoughts were about a 1962 Lotus Seven that was for sale. I checked the ad, and saw that the car had been for sale for quite some time. I told my customer that something had to be wrong, because if the car was as advertised, it would be a steel.
I went to check the car out, and found the car sitting on a lift, one Weber off and a screw driver in a spark plug hole...
Inspecting the car was a pleasure though, as it appeared to be a well prepped car. But it hadn't run for over a decade. The seller told me it wouldn't run properly and he couldn't figure out why. He had installed an alternator and adjusted the DCOE's. I liked that answer, I had a father that would do that too, and it always resulted in a trip to a shop in France, where they knew how to tune Webers. ( I learned it from Co
I checked the vitals and all was just wonderful, so a week later i returned to pick up the Lotus.
As the car sat for so long we had to go through all systems.
We needed to update many things, change foam in the tank, check suspension, made race tires fit, install fire system etc etc. Tracy showed up so we could fit him in the car and poor a seat.
We made a head rest, installed a new harness and a transponder for timing and scoring. The wire harness was checked and repairs made to it, so with little effort the car can be street legal with blinkers and head lights. A heating blanket was wrapped around the oil tank, so we can preheat the oil before starting the engine. We also made an easy accessible bracket and muffler for the car so the exhaust can be changed in a jiffy as well. However I doubt that the muffler muffles that much.....
In the mean time attention was given to the motor. The Webers were completely off and out of balance. That was an easy fix. The spark plugs changed to the proper heat range and valve lash checked. The timing set and the engine worked as fine as I had expected. Found a small leak at the rear seal and water pump, but we decided to track test the car before we would pull the engine (proved to be good thinking).
A new set of race tires was mounted and a permanent number was applied for both with Council and the VSCDA. #627.
The August Council school was the first test of the car on the track. Tracy had driven the car a couple of times around the block, but never had a chance to experience what the car can do. At Blackhawk Frams the motor finally came up to full operating temperature, and the rev limiter was hit more than once!
We did find some issues, like a plug missing in the transmission. Apparently not uncommon with these gear boxes. So now we have a good reason to take the drive train out and can take care of the leaking rear seal with very little extra cost.
124 Abarth replica at Blackhawk Farms
This is the story of
Don Tuscany's Race car. It all started with a spin the "kink" at Road
America, where he found himself knocked out in an car destroying
encounter with the wall.
After a while during which he didn’t loose his sense of humor, he
decided to build a new car, but this time from scratch and in Abarth
A new tub was found near Ottawa in Canada, and this was completely seam
welded, and changes according to the Abarth set up were performed.
New body parts were fitted and fabricated.
And Bruce Brabec from Wolf Racing made a new custom fitted roll cage.
They also built the roll cage in Don's destroyed old Fiat, and since
that was part of the reason he survived these specialist were a logic
choice to perform this job.
The engine was build from scratch too, with custom pistons high flowing
head, "hot" cam shafts etc etc. When the motor was finally completely
assembled, it was tested on our test stand before putting it on the
The engine was dynoed by Barry Sale at PHP Racengines in Wauconda.
Historic Race Car now has the ability to dyno in house!
The car was wired by Rich Range, and is fully equipped for road use (
The Abarth after all was a Rally car) including blinkers, horn, lights.
We rebuild a 5 speed Abarth transmission, installed an accusump system
and a 4 nozzle fire system installed. The steering column was
customized and a custom seat that would fit Don's frame installed.
At this time the car was ready to be tested.
With thanks to John Tulloch , who purchased a Mini Cooper Vintage Race
car through us, we were able to test a day at the Autobahn. The day was
cut short, due to a vibration at higher speeds.
After solving that issue Don is now racing his car with VSCDA, where it
draws a lot of positive attention.
Many thanks to Don Tuscany, for
allowing us to show what we are able of!
Happy face after a hot session!